Friday, January 7, 2011

IS AGRICULTURE A BAD WORD?

In my slow season I sub at local schools, from elementary to high school and I run across the same thing. Most kids have no clue what 'AGRICULTURE" means. They use it every day and see it every day, it may not be in the traditional forms but it there. The kids still think of a farmer in overalls sitting on tractor. And has we all know not all of us wear overalls. The word "AGRICULTURE" to city kids doesn't have the warm fuzzy memories our parents have or even some I have. What most of of our inner city youth knows about agriculture comes from our media and it isn't all positive.

It boggles my mind how "Earth Science" is no longer apart of a agriculture classes but purely just a science class. I find it funny how we have all these school gardens but no one is teaching them "AGRICULTURE" its "GARDENING". I know I might be standing on a soap box but if no one teaches the kids they are truly learning about agriculture how can we except these kids to appreciate the industry.

We praise schools for having school gardens and science programs, but we are first to cut the Agriculture departments. I don't think every school needs a Agriculture department but if you are going to teach the kids about aspects of Agriculture make sure they walk away with an understanding of the word and the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment